9.20.2017

Once there were children playing under the trees

The branches are full and hanging like the folds of a party dress ready for dancing. The apples are waiting to be picked but alas most are not worthy of being eaten by human kind. The birds and deer will eat heartily the next few weeks. Thayne and I went for a nature walk down to the big house to check things out, get some apples and view the river.

We found tiny persimmons and looked for honeysuckle. Then we noticed the old cars have been moved. Things are changing on the property and not just the color of the leaves. The old school bell that used to hang above the wooden garage is gone. The corporation is preparing the property for whatever is going to be its future.

This little bit of paradise has been our home for almost 7 years. I have lived here longer than I have lived in any house in my entire life. I am not sure that I can live in Southern Maryland and not live here. It will kind of break my heart.

When I was a late teen I had a little vision of this place. I saw the apple trees and red barn and knew that someday I would be here. When we found this rental property it felt perfect and it has been such an amazing magical place. It has been home in so many ways other than just the house.


Thayne was becoming discouraged because we had not found any honeysuckle so far on our walk. I told him it was kind of past time that it should be blossoming and he probably wouldn't find any. Just a few steps further, just like this magical place always does, there was the gift of one small branch for him.

No comments: